Sunday, September 21

Review Mania: Virgin Suicides

Okay *rolls up sleeves* I don't think this one needs as long an entry as 'the hours'. However, despite the OBVIOUS incooporation of the many events of the book I felt it was just stringed together with really no meaning.
I expected more of their deaths, their actual faces (Bonnie's that floats out amongst the blue and silver baloons). Some bits just seemed strange and unnatural, according to the book and I really disliked the way Sofia Coppola added in certain things like Lux longing after Trip when no where in the book it mentions this or what else happens in the house. There was not much lingering on the decay of the house and James Woods, who usually plays tough, scary characters I don't think comes off very well as a weedy, emasculated dad although the parts where you can see he is obviously longing for a son were touching.
Mmm, I'm still undecided about it and then again it could be because of my reading the book and expecting it otherwise. Very beautifully done though, some shots were amazing!

So I give it a 6/10 because although the visual imagery is amazing, the writing is choppy and distented, ruining (like the hours a little) the subtle swell and flow of the book, I'm sure Eugenides is not happy ...

~ M.M.W ~


. . . . . . . . . . . .





SABRINA FAIR

20 year old. Student. Writer. Multinational corporation girl. Hopeless romantic who's heart has been broken far too many times. Still, however, searches for Celine's her Jesse.


FABULOUS THINGS

Autumn.
A U T U M N

Before Sunset
B E F O R E S U N S E T

Imogen Heap
I M O G E N H E A P

LJ SECRET
L J S E C R E T

Shoes
S H O E S

Living La Boheme
L I V I N G L A B O H E M E


T H E H I L L S

Sasha Pivovarova
S A S H A P I V O V A R O V A

Europe
E U R O P E

Calvin and Hobbes
C A L V I N A N D H O B B E S

Models
M O D E L S

Marc Jacobs Sunnies
M A R C J A C O B S

ARCHIVES