Tuesday, December 30

Current Mood: Enthralled.
Current Music: The Steward of Gondor - Billy Boyd (hmph...only 1:15, thought was longer)

RETURN OF THE KING REVIEW


So what did I think? Mmm...well first off, I loved it. (is trying it ignore the fact that it is v. hot and i do not know how to turn air con on. v. bad). I loved it so much that when I got home I burst into tears as I was stifling it while sitting in the theatre and sitting next to the ice queen of Nadia and Mrs. Emotionless/Laughter (Cathy! She laughed at Trinity's death! HAH!). And I stayed up for ages thinking about it. So what kind of movie was it? Let's categorise. Yayness.
Note: Hover over the pictures with your cursor. Surprise!

Cinematography:

Awesome. Well we've gotten used to P.J.'s work for the past two (not three), two years so it was not new but at the same time still stunning and awe-inspiring. P.J. is masterful and will be remembered as a legend forever. Scenes, backdrops, CGI effects, bigatures, miniatures etc were all wonderful and flawless except for maybe the helicopter landing pad. (Check bad bits!) The detail, the work, (SA: 500 days! (he stresses)) and the effort into it is so obvious and I fear that sometimes the vast audiences may take it all for granted. Which shits me but at the same time I know it has captured the heart of millions and millions of people and has touched people like me who have obscessed with getting a great fantasy film up on screen. So go, P.J. Well done. We know you're a great director, let's hope he does better on K.K (which I doubt v. much) because hey, look how Godzilla turned out and it wasn't the cinematography that wrecked it. Good luck, anyhow.

Cast/Acting:

Ah. One of my favourite nit-picking bits. I'll just do it about the main people/groups.

Frodo/Sam/Gollum
Okay I must say that I retract anything I said about Frodo,Sam or Gollum and their actors. Like I think Ian M. (Gandalf) said that what is really prevalent is the change in Frodo from the first film to the third. And its true, despite many people's belief that Frodo has a lack of acting skills, he does change sometimes subtle and sometimes not but he does change and you begin to see the changes in him becomes more and more like Gollum (hence the part where he distrusts Sam and believes Gollum). And as much as I hate Elijah Wood and think he looks like a frog, I also do now believe that he was very much a good choice and proved that despite his ill-choices as an ex-child actor, he can carry through with such a weighty task of being the main character of such a big-budget film/s, much like his character Frodo.
Sam (sean Astin) was as Cassie said 'the heart and soul of the film', which is very, very true. If not for his steadfast companionship and absolute loyalty to Frodo (Hate!Gollum), I would have never really realised Sam's importance or significance and it seems silly in Film 1 when Frodo told Sam to go back, because Frodo would not have lasted 10 seconds without him. (From his jubliant 'Lembaaaas!' to the Shelob scene to carrying Frodo up the mountain side). I love Sam very much for that and think he should have carried the ring as it did not have any effect on him.
"Two are better than one; because they have a good reward for their labor. For if they fall, the one will lift up his fellow: but woe unto him that is alone when he falleth; for he hath not another to help him up."
-- The Bible: Ecclesiastes 4:9-10.
Sam and Frodo! Aren't they squigily cute here?

And finally Gollum. Oh, who can forgive Gollum? I can. Why? I love the fact that we see Gollum really begin to take dominance over Smeagol in this film unlike in Film 2 where Smeagol tells Gollum to take a hike. And they do that dual shot again. Great, instead of flipping camera angles, Gollum is actually the water's reflection. He is not so important in this film, he just keeps turning up at bits and beating the shit out of Sam but not Frodo. (Hmm...mistake, Sam just sit on him!) And Frodo's so stupid to let him go, stupid stupid Frodo. I must say though, I loved the bit where Frodo has put on the ring and Gollum's got him around the neck and although its s'posed to be dramatic its' kinda funny until Gollum bites Frodo's finger off. And surprisingly that bit did not seem v. important as much as it was in the book. Overall, I loved Gollum and the very best bit of him was seeing him fall back into the pool of lava of Mt. Doom with that completely blissfull look on his face. He was finally happy. (Reminiscnet of T2).
Overall I loved them. And I think Elijah Wood, Sam Astin (former child star too) and Andy Serkis are all excellent actors and i hope they do well in the future.

Aragorn,Legolas,Gimli -
So where did we leave our Rohan group? Not split up I'm sure, because hey, they're the only split group in TTT that isn't split up further (Sam/Frodo and Pippin/Merry split). Aragorn, okay, yes, ROTK is about him. he is the king who returns. Although that really did not have as much significance as it did in the books. I mean, it was so obvious that Faramir like his brother would defer and let Arry be king after Denethor kills himself. But lets get to acting, viggo Mortensen is perfect as the rather-would-not-be-king-but-if-being-king-lets-me-kiss-girls-twenty-years-younger-bring-it-on, no, I'm kidding. He is great as the character, the rugged, stubbliness and presence that gives him if not the aura of a king, at least of a leader of people (being a friend to former-foe, elves and dwarves alike). Being able to weild a sword in a few hours is dedication too. Legolas. Aha, Orlando Bloom. I will play this review platonic, all right? Orlando Bloom had significance but not so much and if not for his Oliphant kicking ass scene then I really wouldn't noticed him during the movie. Sure he does 'A diversion!' bit, but it seemd lame, and the 'he is here' with the weird blue face (ugh!) which was spooky in the trailer but seemed tepid in the movie. Aragorn and Legolas and Gimli (unseen) venturing forth onto path of the dead!Still, I enjoyed the fact that Orlando Bloom really did put effort and study into his character, shown by how he fights and the way he manages to portray his character in a big-budget movie and still handle the pressure. So Go Orlando. (Go to best bits for Oli-fighting scene!) And Gimli, who barely has a line in the film that doesn't revolve around his personality or a bit of mocking-humour (aka: 'elf who will go underground but a dwarf who won't). So I can't really say much about Gimli except that his presence has been both familiar and comforting to say the least, especially the little sparks of humour that had mostly come from the two hobbits but was much needed during the riders of rohan and the battle (aka: the bit where he and legolas are standing on the wall before Helm's Deep and he can't see over. Love that bit.) I have heard much argument about the fact that Fran Walsh, Philipa Boyens and Peter Jackson stole a bit from Terry Pratchett about dwarf women 'how they can't tell they exist because of their beards but they just pop out of holes in the ground'. However I don't quite agree with this as it is an attempt at humour and seems very unlikely.
Gimli: I never thought I'd die side by side with an Elf.
Legolas: What about side by side with a friend?
Gimli: Aye. I could do that


Pippin, Merry, Gandalf
Surprisngly enough I didn't know that it would be Merry and Pippin who would really save the movie for me. Pip's singing and Merry's saving Miranda and fighting really alluded to the fact that even the smallest ppl can help. Pip saves Gandalf which just goes to show that to Gandalf he really isn't a 'Fool of a Took' (made up for skull-crashing and palantir-looking). I love Billy Boyd's voice so much I actually downloaded his song. Its v. sweet and so tragic that it was an almost crying moment for me. I think Billy Boyd and Dom. Monahan really shine in the third film since a lot of scenes are focused on them (being sworn into service for Denethor and Theoden, which really isn't importance seeing as both die). Merry who although given armour and whatnot, was not taken along to fight which I thought was really stupid. But hey, that's me. But riding with Eowyn and helping her kill the Witch King I thought was pretty heroic. Pippin and Merry! These guys can kick orcses/witch king ass!
But in all of that, I thought the most heart-wrenching moment was when Merry says goodbye to Pippin before Gandalf rides off to Minas Tirith. And Pippin realises right before they leave that they might never see each other again and screams Merry's name. Oh, breaking your heart into a little puddle. Meanies. That and the Sam/Frodo break-up moment. Needless but oohhh...
Ack. I have digressed from acting. Despite the fact that they are both little performers and lack the chemsitry and good-looks that are aparent in Elijah Wood and Orlando Bloom (Platonic people! This is just a general view of society!), they are good actors and I am glad that the third movie launched them a little more into the limelight.
Pippin: We'll see each other soon. Won't we?
Merry: I don't know, Pip. I don't know what's going to happen

Gandalf (i.e. Ian McKellan) who was much more prominent than he was in TTT, was still a little trivial. His character arc was really nonexistent but McKellan did a great job at portraying the hulking protector of the human world, for example when he saves the riders of Rohan by riding out himself and using his staff to weild this light against him. Although in the scene where the hoardes attack Minas Tirith, I think Gandalf should have stood at the top and weilded that staff again so that needles soldiers would not be plucked from thier perches, hideously disembowled/dismembered and the bounced back onto the parapets (I saw the helicopter landing pad!). But oh woe, no one thought of that. And why didn't he call the great eagles earlier? Was it nesting/mating season? Gandalf fighting a Nazgul! This was not in the theatrical version!
Well you know, those seasons make them more iritated. I digress. Sir Ian McKellan is a great actor and I feel I need not remark on his performance since he fits the character so perfectly from his proshetic nose to the tips of his...well, you never get to see his shoes. But you now what I mean. He's got X-men 3 to boot so he shouldn't be worrying about other acting jobs but saturating himself in the feeling that he just got to play one of the most well-loved characters of fantasy literature. *sigh* I would love that.
Gandalf: Lord Denethor is Boromir's father. It would be very unwise to bring him news of his beloved sons death. Best not to speak of it. And be careful not to mention Frodo or the ring. Or Aragorn, say nothing of him. In fact, its best if you don't speak at all, Peregrin Took.

Others
Think I should start with Eowyn, boy did she kick ass. That witch-king thing, woah. Especially when she whips off the helmet and says:
Witch King: You fool, no mortal man can kill me.
Eowyn: I am no man.

Yowza. And stabs him. She does that whole Charlie's Angels thing. So Farah Fawcett. Anyhoo, her acting skills...I like the way Bernard Hill puts it 'She puts everything in to her scenes, sometimes too much.' And its true, you can see she has built up the dramatic tension but sometimes you have the feeling that she portrays a little too much Eowyn, its in her eyes, they are full of expression and that's probably the way she reacts but it must be because of her stage acting where one cannot be subtle and must make expression apparent. Miranda Ottol (Eowyn) about to kick Witch King Ass!
Not her fault and with more experience it will lessen. Faramir, god I almost cried for him when Denethor tells him he would rather him have gone than Boromor have gone and died. I think as soon as Osgiliath was taken, he knew that even if riding back to Minas Tirith was not safe as facing his disappointed and rather horrific father (with the worst possible table manners) was worse than facing the legions of orcs at Sauron's disposal. I liked Daisy in this film, but he was asleep for most of it which is why I think Peter Jackson gave him that entire extra storyline in TTT. He seems utterly underused in ROTK, as he does not appear in either battle and only in two mini-battles in which one is his suicide one which that ****** Denethor orders. Damn. David Wenham is a good actor too. Feel bit cheated as Eowyn and Faramir love story is on cutting floor. *sigh* Better be on Extended, they looked good together at end of ROTK. Denethor, ahh. The bastard king. Ben Noble did him well and I had taste of him before saw ROTK as have TTT extended, which was lucky as it was better to know the background of the family then just have it thrown in face during ROTK. Played him very well as forgot he was actor and hated him miserably. Pippin singing while Denethor eats the table!
Must say I loved the bits where he is about to go in a rage and Gandalf hits him with staff to shut him up. Outrageous laughter at that. Disgusting table manners during Pip's song, funeral pyre thing with stupid guards and fireball all added to the miserablness of his character. Ah I hated him. Did not feel one bit sad when he died, as flaming cliff fireball. Yayness. Sure he is a great actor though. Theoden, probably the only king I ended up liking, (Elrond? KKKeleborn? Aragorn? Denethor? Please.) Great actor, we know that from second film. Stage actor too, he tapdances. ANd of course a well-known English actor, loved the bit where he went riding up and down the column before they hit Minas Tirith, smacking his sword against their spears (Me to Cathy: Heheh. What if he hit one and it swung back and whacked it off his face? Hehehe.) But his defining moment, his death. Irony, as he told Eowyn she couldn't come and she ends up saving him (not from death) from horrific torture from a Nazgul. But I loved the part where she says as she's holding him 'Wait, uncle. I will save you." and he replies 'You all ready did." And I forget the rest. But that was nice. Too little of Theoden. Too many characters. Quick Notes on other characters. Eomer, quick, feisty, still got stupid helmet, good actor. Found out he was from NZ, dammit. That's one less Aussie. Good in a fight. Wonder how he felt about Eowyn and Faramir. Arwen, nice dresses, a little too dramatic, her son has weird eyes, and I think the kiss with Aragorn when he pounced on her was because he was sex-depraved for such a long time. Elrond and Arwen. It looks they are having a seance! Do elves have seances?
Great actress, just don't think she should be on poster with a full head. Bilbo, okay, instead of face-lift, he's had a face-down. That's all really. Celeborn, once again is asleep and says' nothing. Cate, smiles mysteriously and helps Frodo through rough time. She's just there for name, status and to pretty up the screen when Sam/Frodo/Gollum been there for too long. Elrond, Cathy and I frightened he would turn up when they did Frodo-being-healed in Rivendell or Minas Tirith, which he didn't thank god. He was good anyway, turning up looking like Arwen and then doing his fast-agent-smith-reflex to reveal Isilidur's sword.
Oh, and surprisingly, Saruman and Grima not even in entire movie. Although I heard that Grima slits Saruman's throat and chucks him off tower. He laughs. But Leggy sees him, fires an arrow but it looks like it goes too high and Grima chuckle again, but instead it spirals down and kills him. Go Leggy. Hopefully in extended.

Overall: Casting excellent. Even for those I disliked.

Story Relation:

Ahh, so how much did it relate to the book? I think for this type of movie which has trudged through some of the worse obstacles imagined for putting a book to screen, it really has given its fans everything it could, without confusing those who haven't yet read the books (ie. me, but only half of ROTK). P.J. did add a few things in but I don't blame him, he was just trying to breathe life into what Tolkien didn't deem important which was everything but scenery. Muah. To keep this short, I'll say yes, it did keep to the story very much in Return of the King, the only problem being that much was left out, Scouring of Shire, Faramir and Eowyn etc but I understand why that was kept out, the film would have run over four hours and the climax would have dwindled to boredom and that for Peter Jackson would have spoiled the first trilogy that did nto spoil its end. (Unless its star wars)

Best Bits:
YAY! Favourite bit! I'll be editing this quite a bit.

Smeagol/Deagol (??) bit. Nice beginning to a movie to see Gollum's pass into the darkness which one could draw similarities with Frodo's.

Arwen as she rides through the forest and sees her future with Aragorn and her son who stares accusingly at her. Like Cathy says, 'he's got weird eyes'.

Palantir bit. That was cool and reminded me of a very magical version of 'hot potato', I kept willing to Aragorn 'Pass it to Leggy! Pass it, you fool!'

Pippin/Merry dancing bit which was blue screen bit but I loved it. There's a cut of a scene where Legolas drinks. *sigh*

Pip leaves Merry. Mentioned before, very heart breaking.

Sam carrying Frodo up the mountainside. Quotes:Sam: I cannot carry it for you, Mr. Frodo, but I can carry you!

This exchange with pip and Gandalf
Quote: Pippin: Is there any hope, Gandalf, for Frodo and Sam?
Gandalf: There never was much hope. Just a fool's hope.


When Aragorn turns to face the surrounding orcs and runs at them yelling: Aragorn: For Frodo. (Me: Hehehe. What happens if he runs forward and half-way there realises that nobody is following him. Hee hee)

Gollum trying to defend himself. Quote:Gollum: Smeagol wouldn't hurt a fly. [Gollum hits his forehead and looks into his hand, screaming at the fly smashed on it]


Witch King bit with Eowyn.
Quote: Witch King: You fool, no mortal man can kill me.
Eowyn: I am no man.


Sam fights Shelob. Go that hobbit. His tagline: He's fat, he carries pots and pans but you betta watch out where Mr. Frodo's concerned.

Sam, who's pretty mad that Frodo has been rogered by orcses (Ames made me say that!) Quotes:[As he kills the three Orcs guarding Frodo.]
Sam: That's for Frodo! And that's for the Shire! And that's for my old Gaffer!


When Gandalf turns about to go to the Grey Havens and the four hobbits who have just protested is silent, he announces something that despite being I hate Frodo, still broke my heart. Quote: Gandalf: Frodo - it is time.

Legolas taking out entire oliphant and crew with some amazing laws of physics and acrobatics. Quote: [after Legolas single-handedly takes out a war elephant and its drivers]
Gimli: Bah! That still only counts as one!

Sam and Frodo on the only rock bit that doesn't heat and turn get melted into lava. Quote: Sam: Rosie Cotton frodo baggins, Dancin'. I woulda married Rosie Frodo. If I'd have ever married anyone, it would have been her him. (AMES MADE ME DOOO ALL OF THAT!)

This exchange between Eowyn and Eomer. Other than a quick glance in TTT, you never see them really acting like brother and sister. I would have liked to see them riding as kids with Theodred, or Eomer pretending to throw his sister off Edoras. I know it wouldn't have happened but it would have been funny.
Quote: Eomer: You should not encourage him.
Eowyn: You should not doubt him.
Eomer: I do not doubt his heart, only the reach of his arm.

Mwhahaha. All of Frodo's lines are so gay. Quotes: Frodo: I'm glad I'm with you, Samwise Gamgee... here, at the end of all things.

Sam, right back at ya. Quotes: Sam: Don't go where I can't follow! *cough* Cassie *cough* Claire. *cough* DV 9 *cough* Gates-of-hell *cough* speech. *lots more hacking coughing*

*sniff* Gandalf leaving. Oohhh...I don't want Ghandi to go. Did I say Ghandi?
Quote:Gandalf: I will not say, "Do not weep," for not all tears are evil. In the movie I thought he said I will say blahblahblah. Spent several minutes trying to work it out. Am stupid.

Aragorn says this to the hobbits and then they all bow to him. So Mulan-ish. Without the cross-dressing male.
Quote: Aragorn: My friends, you bow to no one And oh god, they have to zoom in on Frodo's weird, gay smile.

When Frodo is back in the shire, we can see that the scar of the weight of the ring still lies heavily with him. And what he says is so profound and beautiful and even Elijah Wood says its his favourite line of the film.
Frodo: I set out to save the Shire, and it has been saved - but not for me.

Pip singing.
Pippin: [Singing To Denethor] Home is behind the world ahead, and there are many paths to tread, through shadow, to the edge of night, till the stars are all alight. Mist and shadow, cloud and shade. All shall fade, all shall... fade

Pip saves Gandalf. Yay! Go Pip! Suck Gandi.



Bad Bits:

Frodo half naked. Err...Cathy told me he was all naked in that scene. What were those orcses doing? Yuck.

Pip leaves Merry. Best and bad bit. *sigh*

Denethor telling his son to go and kill himself. Oh well done Denethor.
Quote:Faramir: Since you are robbed of Boromir, I shall do what I can in his stead.
[He bows then begins to leave, then stops and looks back at Denethor]
Faramir: If I should return, think better of me, Father.
[Denethor doesn't look up as he answers]
Denethor: That will depend upon the manner of your return.


Denethor's eating skills while Pip sings.

Denethor on teh funeral pyre and then as a big red fireball. *sigh*

Legolas as a blue monster thing. What was with that? Quote:Leggy: He is here.

Frodo in that spider body bag. Was very funny along with his expression when he gets hit with the stinger. Yow. Have problem with that, tho, he is wearing MITHRILL as an orcses later points out when he wants it. Hahaha.

This exchange when Eowyn learns that she cannot have Aragorn despite her unkie's blessing.
Quote: Aragorn: Eowyn, why have you come?
Eowyn: Do you not know?
Aragorn: It is but a shadow and a thought that you love.
She backs away. it is so perfect. And sad. I think he woudl have loved her if he saw her kick ass. Did anyone think that her sneaking into battle was a suicide attempt, that she was so utterly depressed that Aragorn didn't love her?? Hmm...and did Faramir ever consider that he was her rebound attempt. I really have to stop reading Mills and Boon.

At thier parting.[MERRY gives PIPPIN a tobacco pouch at their parting]
Quote: Pippin: The last of the longbottom leaf?
Merry: I know you've run out. You smoke too much, Pippin.

Wondering if M15+ rating was for medium level violence and drug use????

When Gandalf is explaining the end to Pippin with that big troll trying to burst in.
Quote: Pippin (downcast): I never thought it would end like this.
Gandalf: End? It doesn't end here.
Pippin (hopeful): It doesn't?
Gandalf: No. Death is just another journey.
Pippin: Thanks a fucking lot Gandalf.

Last bit was added in by some girl on LJ.

When Sam urges Frodo to put the ring in. And Frodo turns around Ian Holm like and goes.
Frodo: The Ring is mine I wanted to yell, for fuck's sake, he near's the edge, Sam just kick him in. But no, Frodo has to learn the hard or finger-less way.

Gandalf says to Farmir before he rides out to suicide. Nice forshadowing Gandi.
Gandalf: Faramir! Your father loves you! He doesn't know it, but he will before the end!

Urgh. Overly gay scene between Merry and Pippin. Damn. Thought that they wouldn't have one.
Merry: Are you going to leave me?
Pippin: No, Merry. I'm going to take care of you


Helicopter Landing Pad. Oh yes. I spotted it. Am quite proud. It looked more like someone had decided to paint the white hand of Saurmon. No offence, but it looks like Saruman had more forces than Saurmon.

The bit with the green fire at Minas Morgul and the screeching Nazguls. Yargh. and that staircase. I'm sorry! But that WAS NOT A STAIRCASE!

Overall

How can one summarise this film? For all the bad bits (which were mostly bits I didn't like because of some insinuating factor or another), they were overrun with great bits. I don't know if I can ever love this film more than I do all ready. This I can promise is my favourite film/series/cast/director/obscession of all time.
This ring...I mean movie, mine, precioussss...mine, precious! Mine!I hated the books but I love the movies. Is that possible? I know it is vice versa. The only regret is that now I have to say goodbye and I know that there is a dvd coming out and I am going to see it again, but it really is goodbye and my only, only regreat that apart from being in the audience that I never really had a part in it and that regret is going to last me for the rest of my life. But it deserves its 15/10 for sheer bravado for not stuffing up a trilogy (aka: the matrix), bravery, courage, integrity and all together all-powerful message. That said don't anyone tell me I can't do fractions or you'll be as dead as those orcses, Sam-wise style.

~ M.M.W ~


PS: Told you it was going to be long, Mary.


. . . . . . . . . . . .





SABRINA FAIR

20 year old. Student. Writer. Multinational corporation girl. Hopeless romantic who's heart has been broken far too many times. Still, however, searches for Celine's her Jesse.


FABULOUS THINGS

Autumn.
A U T U M N

Before Sunset
B E F O R E S U N S E T

Imogen Heap
I M O G E N H E A P

LJ SECRET
L J S E C R E T

Shoes
S H O E S

Living La Boheme
L I V I N G L A B O H E M E


T H E H I L L S

Sasha Pivovarova
S A S H A P I V O V A R O V A

Europe
E U R O P E

Calvin and Hobbes
C A L V I N A N D H O B B E S

Models
M O D E L S

Marc Jacobs Sunnies
M A R C J A C O B S

ARCHIVES