Friday, January 9

Current Mood: You have a wonderful sense of humor. I wish I had a sense of humor, but I can never think of the right thing to say until everybody's gone home. Shocked.
Current Music: Creed - Higher (yes, again)

Em and I have just hung up. Why? Because its the wrong Midsommers Murders Ep. Yes, it is. OMG! Damn blasted...and oh! *sighs* Oh dear. Will find out what episode and then write to Nine and go 'Wtf don't you play this ep?'. Meh.

Other things, saw Requiem for a dream. That is one of the most disturbing, brutally visual films I have ever seen. I'm still recovering. It revolves around the life of three drug addicts, Harry (Jared Leto, who actually went to New York to mingle with the drug addies on the streets), Marion (Harry's girlfriend played by Jennifer Conelly, my vision of her innocence has now been broken because of this film. She is still awesome, tho.), and Tyrone (Marlon Wayans, famous because of his antics on the Scary Movie franchise, you see none of that here but great acting). And of course, the major star, Ellen Burstyn who plays Sara Goldfarb, Harry's mother. WHo also has an addiction but is not of the type her son has. Anyway, this is not the usual druggie type film, I know what you're thinking. It's hard to explain because you have to watch it. Mainly, it revolves around this short period of their lives and how their desperate need of drugs which at first seems the way only to attain thier personal dreams (to each thier own), but also seems to be the advocate of destroying them. Hence, Marion becomes a well...toy(I shall not elaborate because, oh god. Its horrible and I don't want to think about it.), Harry has his arm amputated (other psych things too, like Marion leaving him), Tyrone going to prison for drug-dealing in the South States of American. Which is pretty shit because well, the southerners do not like Blacks. And Sara, who becomes obscessed with loosing weight to go on telly (hence her addiction, the diet pills) drags her into a spirally frenzy which takes her to a mental infirmary.

Finished it and just sat back and tried to breathe. Of course, I recovered (with a good dose of 'Head over Heels' that stupid love comedy with Freddie Prince Jr and Monica Potter, which I now have watched three times. Jeezus) but am still trying to organise my thoughts around it. Its so depressing. And kinda weird. Like a mix of Girl Interrupted and Being John Malkovich. Hey, I never posted about Girl Interrupted. I like that film. ANyway, here's some quotes.

Sara Goldfarb: [on her pills] Purple in the morning, blue in the afternoon, and orange in the evening. Just like that, one, two, three, four!

Marion: I love you Harry. You make me feel like a person.
Harry Goldfarb: Marion, you are the most beautiful girl in the world. You are my dream

Sara Goldfarb: I'm somebody now, Harry. Everybody likes me. Soon, millions of people will see me and they'll all like me. I'll tell them about you, and your father, how good he was to us. Remember? It's a reason to get up in the morning. It's a reason to lose weight, to fit in the red dress. It's a reason to smile. It makes tomorrow all right. What have I got Harry, hm? Why should I even make the bed, or wash the dishes? I do them, but why should I? I'm alone. Your father's gone, you're gone. I got no one to care for. What have I got, Harry? I'm lonely. I'm old.
Harry Goldfarb: You got friends, Ma.
Sara Goldfarb: Ah, it's not the same. They don't need me. I like the way I feel. I like thinking about the red dress and the television and you and your father. Now when I get the sun, I smile.
(Btw, with this quote. There's a bit of trivia that goes with it that i thought was really nice but didn't spot during the take.During Ellen Burstyn's impassioned monologue about how it feels to be old, cinematographer Matthew Libatique accidentally let the camera drift off-target. When director Darren Aronofsky called "cut" and confronted him about it, he saw to his shock that the reason Libatique had let the camera drift was because had been crying so hard during the take that he had fogged up the camera's eyepiece. This was the take used in the final print.)

Sara Goldfarb: In the end it's all nice.
(Which of course is the irony ini this movie, because in the end, it isn't.)

Marion: You smug fuck!
(I love this, because she stabs the guy with a fork. Which was what I would have done. But its only a dream, of course.)

Oh and some cool trivia.

We repeatedly see Jennifer Connelly's character standing at the end of a pier as Jared Leto's character walks toward her; this closely resembles a shot in the final scene of Dark City (1998) with Connelly and Rufus Sewell. According to director, Darren Aronofsky, this was a pure coincidence; when he came up with the image, based on a moment in his own life, he had yet not cast Connelly, nor even seen Dark City

The overhead shot of Marion in the bathtub followed by her screaming underwater was an exact replica of a shot in the Japanese animated thriller, _Perfect Blue (1997)_ . Darren Aronofsky bought the remake rights to the film just to use that one sequence. (wow, even anime has an influence? Btw, this is such a cool shot.)



Oh btw. I just realised that when I asked my mum to get it for me (first heard of it when I found out that the theme to TTT's trailer was 'Requiem for a dream' which was also a movie, from which it was taken from. It played too many times during that film!) it was rated R for intense depiction of drug addiction, graphic sexuality, strong language and some violence. Well yeah...it was. But I don't think it really need a R+ rating. It wasn't...that...bad, okay maybe the end. Also realised, its the directors cut (hence the increased rating). But seriously...see it, its so good.

~ M.M.W who is still recovering ~



. . . . . . . . . . . .





SABRINA FAIR

20 year old. Student. Writer. Multinational corporation girl. Hopeless romantic who's heart has been broken far too many times. Still, however, searches for Celine's her Jesse.


FABULOUS THINGS

Autumn.
A U T U M N

Before Sunset
B E F O R E S U N S E T

Imogen Heap
I M O G E N H E A P

LJ SECRET
L J S E C R E T

Shoes
S H O E S

Living La Boheme
L I V I N G L A B O H E M E


T H E H I L L S

Sasha Pivovarova
S A S H A P I V O V A R O V A

Europe
E U R O P E

Calvin and Hobbes
C A L V I N A N D H O B B E S

Models
M O D E L S

Marc Jacobs Sunnies
M A R C J A C O B S

ARCHIVES