Monday, January 5

I now know that it is bad idea to build your identity on your major or intended career.

It all started in 7th grade when I decided that I wanted to be a doctor. When a dream has been a part of you for so many years, it is hard not to identify yourself with the dream. It is even harder for people, older people in particular, to refrain from the same.

Such an identification fails to reveal much about a person. It's an identification too vague, terribly restricting, and desperately stereotypical. Certainly, hearing such a label offers many assumptions about a person... none of which may be true.

It's terrible when people around me make assumptions about my personality and character based on an intended career choice... but it's even worse when I build my own identity around such a fragile and unsteady foundation. In the end, I am only nurturing a facade of forced expectations and preferences for myself that appears shockingly dissimilar to my genuine self.

You may have guessed already. I'm not pre-med anymore. But that doesn't mean that I'm giving up on a dream. On the contrary, I merely realized that my dream was far broader than I previously imagined.

- This extract comes from a blog called College Girl which I think speaks on many topics which I can apply myself to. Even Gilmore Girls. Btw, I missed it again. *sigh*


. . . . . . . . . . . .





SABRINA FAIR

20 year old. Student. Writer. Multinational corporation girl. Hopeless romantic who's heart has been broken far too many times. Still, however, searches for Celine's her Jesse.


FABULOUS THINGS

Autumn.
A U T U M N

Before Sunset
B E F O R E S U N S E T

Imogen Heap
I M O G E N H E A P

LJ SECRET
L J S E C R E T

Shoes
S H O E S

Living La Boheme
L I V I N G L A B O H E M E


T H E H I L L S

Sasha Pivovarova
S A S H A P I V O V A R O V A

Europe
E U R O P E

Calvin and Hobbes
C A L V I N A N D H O B B E S

Models
M O D E L S

Marc Jacobs Sunnies
M A R C J A C O B S

ARCHIVES