Saturday, January 10
There are friendships that only fade with time. And then there are some that seem strangely nurtured by time and distance. Time together flows as a hiatus never realized.
Had lunch with with friends from highschool today. Some attend college with me, others have been keeping in touch, and yet others have not been seen since graduation. Since we never spent much time all together even in highschool, I was surprised at the lack of akwardness.
Nearly as soon as conversation opened, however, a dive attempted to fish out the details of our respective love lives. Typically, these conversations end with a realization of how much has changed but such was not the case today. That's not to say that we haven't changed. Because we have; our interests, habits, and preferences might even seem unreconizable today by our highschool selves. Yet, our friendships have not changed much. We've been learning to balance aspects of different kinds of relationships better.
And then, some things just never change.
I don't understand how a girl can think she knows a guy when she knows so little. She may know what he likes to eat, what sorts of movies and books he enjoys, and perhaps his music tastes... but if he won't tell her where he works at, or where he really goes to school, or what his family and highschool years were like, there's a lot that she still doesn't know about him. But decisions on these issues, of course, are reserved for individual discretion. I just don't understand it.
On a different note, it is sometimes interesting to observe the lengths which a parent will go to pursue a girlfriend for his (or her) son. This is especially true when the son is not interested in the girl to start with... and they have not seen or spoken to each other since their graduation nearly a year and a half ago.
Well the last bit was not relevant, but I like College Girl's extract. Its cool and I hope this happens to me, well to some extent. I kept thinking about next year, I mean wow! Next year its going to be totally different, more likely I'm going to have totally new friends and be somewhat happier than I am now.
I fear and love the fact that I might actually get together with my webby friends since they're...well most of them...are aspiring to do things that sorta fit with what I want at Melboure too. Plus I'll get to see MV around. So I can't decide whether splitting up with my friends will make it worse or better. Worse in the respects that I will loose them, better in what do I have to gain? ANd what do they have to gain from this sepeartion?
We shall see. Let's just get thru Yr 12 first, babe.
~ M.M.W ~

