Monday, June 7
Current Mood:
Indescribable.
Current Music: Artful Dodger - Woman Trouble
Well I didn't even finish my last post. How great! I guess I just don't have the energy for a long ramble.
Today, I pretty much did nothing. I watched loads of movies, talked to Em a little on the phone (she was bored as I was!), planned a little more of my evil, cunning, twiddle plan, ate nothing, worked on my tok essay and finished spring-cleaning/reorganising my room. So okay, I did stuff. But it wasn't like 'lion-taming' or anything. Rawr.
Now am listening to Coral - Dreaming of You
Up here in my lonely room
When I'm dreaming of you
OH what can I do?
I still need you
But I don't want you now
Dododododododododo! *hums to trumpet* Great song. So catchy. HANDS ARE TIED!...Can't disguise...lalalala Okay, that's enough of that. Today, I also managed to squeeze in amongst all of the above, The Devil's Advocate and that Charlies the Second thing that was recently on the ABC.
Thoughts? Well, with the Devils Advocate, it was like a rerun of Sweet November(because it involved romantic crisis between Neo and a Monster - okay nobody is going to get that, Keanu Reeves and Charlize Theron) and the Ninth Gate. It was good, not so nice, reanactment of that old fable of the coming of the anti-christ. Personally, I like Gabriel Byrne better although kudos (or PROPS as that idol guy would say) to Al Pacino, is of course a revered Godfather actor. I personally love this line:
Kevin Lomax: "Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven", is that it?
John Milton: Why not? I'm here on the ground with my nose in it since the whole thing began. I've nurtured every sensation man's been inspired to have. I cared about what he wanted and I never judged him. Why? Because I never rejected him, in spite of all his imperfections. I'm a fan of man. I'm a humanist. Maybe the last humanist.
There are loads of good quotes. I'll post them later but that one just niched itself into my skull.
As for that Charles: The Power and the Passion thing...well, other than there being no-eye-candy and a lot of very pretty ladies (with the excuse of Montemaine or whateva), it was good. Not Forsythe Saga good (which was hooked on since the moment it began) but good. Do you know it cost 10 mil to make? Right. (Into my italics today!) Well it had Rufus Sewell (Dark City) who was good as the king but nobody can play a king better than Mel Brooks (Quote: Its good to be the king! - History of the World). Anyway, it also enlisted, which had me hitting my head against the wall, Rupert Graves FROM the Forsythe Saga, in which he played a doddling best friend of the King who did things in that series which upset the image of his character in said saga. Ahh...the depravity of history. Also, Christian Coulson, who I only learned the name of today, who is also from Forsythe Saga (he plays Rupert Graves/Julian's son who dies in the war when he joins up with Jolly) and more famously, he plays Tom Riddle, from the great and well-known Harry Potter and the Chambre of Secrets. Just weird, man. And since we're on the subject of HP, in that same movie, the girl who plays Moaning Myrtle, plays that Portugese princess who marries Charles and who I ended up loving except for her bat hair. Well there were more...and I THINK, I'm only guessing that I saw Sean Biggerstaff in the beginning but I'm not sure. So yes...all in all, a good show. Great cast, great clothes. I especially loved all his mistresses, I don't have a personal favourites, perhaps the last one, the very pretty French one who as told by the queen, "To be the one woman that the king has desired and never had...an affectionate mother." That in itself, was a great life and shows despite the language barrier, how perceptive she really was. The first mistress was extremely discerning, between the scabrous, scheming little monster who in the end was tossed aside (having also slept with the king's bastard son (Coulson) and best friend (Graves)) for a "actress" as she so derisively insults. She looked a little Mary Queen of Scots as she left, but I was almost cheering in triumph as she left, and at her last humiliation when the queen came in and watched her go. Yay! Surprising indeed. Yet, I tire of the Stuarts. I wish they would do other cultures...Vikings, Norway, Arabia, India (China's sooo overdone!) etc. Meh. 7/10 I give it.
Well I think that's enough. See if I can go find some quotes now.
~ The Devil's Advocate ~ (I'm going to go look that word up!...Ah! It means lawyer. or supporter of defender! How perfect!)
John Milton: A woman's shoulders are the front lines of her mystique, and her neck, if she's alive, has all the mystery of a border town. A no-man's land in that battle between the mind and the body.
John Milton: Who, in their right mind Kevin, could possibly deny the twentieth century was entirely mine
John Milton: Don't get too cocky my boy. No matter how good you are don't ever let them see you coming. That's the gaffe my friend. You gotta keep yourself small. Innocuous. Be the little guy. You know, the nerd... the leper... shit-kickin' surfer. Look at me.
[stops and pauses]
John Milton: Underestimated from day one. You'd never think I was a master of the universe, now would ya?
John Milton: Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off. He's a tight-ass. He's a sadist. He's an absentee landlord. Worship that? Never
Kevin Lomax: What about love?
John Milton: Overrated. Biochemically no different than eating large quantities of chocolate
John Milton: Vanity, definitely my favorite sin
John Milton: You sharpen the human appetite to the point where it can split atoms with its desire; you build egos the size of cathedrals; fiber-optically connect the world to every eager impulse; grease even the dullest dreams with these dollar-green, gold-plated fantasies, until every human becomes an aspiring emperor, becomes his own God... and where can you go from there?
John Milton: Free will, it is a bitch
John Milton: Free will. It's like butterfly wings: once touched, they never get off the ground. No, I only set the stage. You pull your own strings.
Kevin Lomax: What are you?
John Milton: Oh, I have so many names...
<strong>Kevin Lomax: Satan.
John Milton: Call me Dad
Alice Lomax: Behold I send you out as sheep amidst the wolves
Kevin Lomax: Lose? I don't lose! I win! I'm a lawyer, that's my job, that's what I do!
John Milton: I rest my case.
John Milton: What about you? Your family, you gotta miss 'em.
[Mary Ann shakes her head no]
John Milton: No?
Mary Ann Lomax: I told Kevin the only thing worse than not having a father was having mine.
John Milton: I can relate. I can, believe me.
(Note: Having read Paradise Lost, I feel obliged to tell you that having Satan named after John Milton was both ironic and strange. John Milton wrote Paradise lost which was second to the bible, about how Satan fell from heaven and thus the war between the angels and also the birth of Adam and Eve. So you can see how this does fit into the storyline of the Devil's Advocate. Milton too felt that he was a fallen man.)
~ M.M.W ~

