Saturday, July 3

A Great and Terrible Beauty
By Libba Bray.

I finished it. Now my thoughts...
First off, gah. Isn't that a goregous cover? And according to my judgement, the story is unlike it, as I have been pleasantly surprised.
As an avid reader of Victorian/English literature, I have found Libba Bray's (whose name, I keep attempting to end with an h) work to be both subtley comical and delirious. Her send up of common Victorian boarding-school characters has smatterings of Bronte, Austen, Dickens and even Blyton. Such as, what the Americans copied off the British (exemplar: Mona Lisa Smile), the free-thinking, reformist teacher who goes against the norms. But instead of centreing it on such cliched themes, she focuses it on the girls themselves, alerting us to their desires, wishes, brutalities and loves.
Like Cassie Claire's review, I agree that the characters are definitely not lovable. Felicity and Pippa, who are introduced as the 'rhymes with witches' in the beginning of the book, are employed as a subtle niche in the plotline, Bray twists them instead into the best friends of the two outcasts (one being Gemma, the main character). The storyline although constantly resonating with magic, continues with the tribulations of school-life, which strangely enough can still be identified with teenagers of today, including myself, such as the search for personal identity, role of women in society, 'true' friends and family. The magic instead enhances and often propagates a liveliness, a malignant hilarity and fun that lightens the often sombre mood and takes of the girls and their lives.
I won't spoil the rest but reassure my audience, that this book was thoroughly enjoyed. As YA fiction, it was a splendid read.
While being very articulate (or at least trying), I should note that there are 'fan-girl' delights still to be found within its wonderous depths. For example, Kartik, the resident hunk. A very, very hot, brooding Indian boy who is out to protect Gemma. (Note Cassie Claire's very enthusiastic meeting with Bray). Personally, I kept thinking of Millet when I was reading this book, as I was coincidentally reading 'White Teeth' at the same time. Reminder: Do review of White Teeth when done.
Anyways, I give this book a lovely fat 9/10. It lost a point, for not giving a satisfactory conclusion. Circe is still out there, their friendship lies fragmented and despite the kiss, there is LITERALLY no Kartik/Gemma romance. Ahh...but there be a rumour that A great and terrible beauty is just the start of a wonderous trilogy.
Ah, but what nowadays isn't?

~ M.M.W ~

PS: Hmm, if you love Libba Bray, you can go stalk her at livejournal. Hanging around C.C.'s livejournal does prove propitituous. (I know what that word means, Mary!)
Stalk away. (Not literally, mind!)


. . . . . . . . . . . .





SABRINA FAIR

20 year old. Student. Writer. Multinational corporation girl. Hopeless romantic who's heart has been broken far too many times. Still, however, searches for Celine's her Jesse.


FABULOUS THINGS

Autumn.
A U T U M N

Before Sunset
B E F O R E S U N S E T

Imogen Heap
I M O G E N H E A P

LJ SECRET
L J S E C R E T

Shoes
S H O E S

Living La Boheme
L I V I N G L A B O H E M E


T H E H I L L S

Sasha Pivovarova
S A S H A P I V O V A R O V A

Europe
E U R O P E

Calvin and Hobbes
C A L V I N A N D H O B B E S

Models
M O D E L S

Marc Jacobs Sunnies
M A R C J A C O B S

ARCHIVES