Monday, September 25
Current Mood:
In DESPERATE need of Chanel.Music: Tres Tres Chic - Mocean Worker (OST Devil Wears Prada)
I finally get that quote from First Wives Club, when Bette Midler holds up Goldie Hawn's Oscar and says, "Oh look! It says 'I beat Mery'." That's actually really funny. Also I get the Simpsons referencing Streep's perfume called, 'Versatility'. It's strange it took me so long to realise the genius of Meryl Streep. She really is good. AND it took a ChicLitRomCom to make me realise. Despite the fact she's been in countless good movies I've seen, The Hours, for instance. I just never really clicked at how great she can transition between genres. Especially she acts the shrizt out of Devil Wears Prada.
Can you believe it's been TWO YEARS since I first read that book? Occasionally I glance back at it, not for the whole 'figure yourself out' roman a clef but mainly for the descriptions of clothes, the insider knowledge into the designer world and basically because every girl's allowed a certain amount of bitchniness. However, this is one book that I don't agree with. I don't think she should have quit. She's not selling her soul. She's not selling her friends out. Isn't it the general belief that everyone although we know this is not true, especially for the rich, that we have to pay our dues in order to gain some life experience and thus earn what we reap? (or is that sow) So, her actions in both movie and book I rebelled against. I mean, WHO gives up a job where one recieves bags, phones, and face cream for free? And we're not just talking about ANY bag. Where I work, the last thing I got free was a ROAST chicken. Suck on that, Lauren.
Admitted not a bad movie, everyone was generally better than I expected and I quite like Emily Blunt now (OMGZ, she was Natascha? But Natascha was so nice?). She reminds me of Robin Dunne a little with the hair colour and everything. The clothes were amazing and suddenly I crave little, thin shoulders. Even Anne Hathway was an improvement over her usual over-the-top do-gooder. (A'mes claims I only hate her because she got to kiss Hugh Dancy! Arr.) However, I was UNPLEASANTLY surprised to find out Simon Baker playing CHRISTIAN of all people. Simon Baker? He was alright in his horrific lawyer mode but not as Christian. Christian was goregous. I remember in fact Carman and I detesting Ahn-drea for dumping him for her pitiful boyfriend, who Adrian Grenier did his best with. Really. He had like three moments in the entire film. And clichedness erupted when their two best friends ended up as a GAY GUY and a BLACK TOKEN. Grr. Could this be MORE PC?
Still craving Chanel outfit. As Tucci says: "You are in desperate need of Chanel." I think we ALL are darling.
~

